Holy Grail: Skincare Saviours

*Holy Grail by Jay-Z plays in the background*

THE FACE

CLEANSE


I have used and loved this cleanser for literal YEARS. I think I originally bought it a few years back on recommendation from my fave, Estée Lalonde, and have never looked back. A must for me with a cleanser is that it doesn't tell me to avoid the eye area, because that means I need TWO cleansers to get one job done of removing my face. 

This one is perfect for eyes and so gentle, and you wash it off with a hot muslin cloth/face cloth (you can get a Liz Earle one that comes in the pack) and it feels amazing. A staple product and perfect for sensitive skin - it exfoliates and cleanses without being harsh and minus those blasted micro beads.

Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Daily Cleanser 


This is probably my favourite cleanser I have ever used (MASSIVE statement) because it is the one I have seen the most effects from. I popped into Kiehl's a while back when I was having (pause for the dramatics) - a skin CRISIS. It wasn't even the kind of breakouts that you can Sudocrem to death and battle on, it was those tiny bumps that are underneath your skin (called "millia" I discovered) that you can't really see when you're not wearing make-up so you think everything is fine and then BOOM, you put on a bit of foundation and next thing your face has 7 million tiny bumps.

With this exact description, I went into Kiehl's - albeit slightly hysterical - and the lovely sales assistant recommended this cleanser which I must say has worked a treat (but must be used consistently to keep up the effects). I use it probably every other day, alternating with my Liz Earle one, to take my make up off in the evenings. Also targets oiliness/shine, acne and blemishes and skin congestion.

WARNING - do not put this near your eyes as it burns (annoying), so you do need to use something else for your eye-make up (I just use Micellar Water on a cotton pad).

Garnier Micellar Water (pink lid) 

Like I said, I use this to remove my eye make-up and just do a once-over my whole face with a cotton pad to get any of the last bits that my cleanser may have missed. Micellar Water is also perfect for the nights you're feeling a little lazy - it's not something you should use every day instead of a good cleanser BUT it is a better alternative than sleeping with your make up on. Obvs.

Use on a couple of cotton pads and make sure to moisturise afterwards as it can be a small bit drying on the skin. 

I am also currently trying out the Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm, so will let you know my thoughts on that. So far so good - no wild reactions chez Siof.

TONE & EXFOLIATE

Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Soothing Treatment Lotion

This product pretty much does what it says on the tin - it is so soothing. If your skin is feeling a bit irritated or red or is having a flare up, this is amazing to pop on a cotton pad and gently swipe all over the face to calm and soothe the skin. 

Don't be put off by the mushroom part - I hate mushrooms with a burning passion - it doesn't smell like them at all.


I loved this product, the perfect leave-on exfoliant that just gets rid of any dead skin cells causing the skin to look dull and feel grainy or textured. It also contains salicylic acid to help renew skin and minimise & unclog pores, as well as reducing the appearance of redness and blemishes.

Makes your skin look super radiant after applying which I love! Need to repurchase ASAP.

A similar product to the Paula's Choice one, I figured I would try it before repurchasing Paula's Choice and I would definitely use either or. Like the above, this gets rid of any grainy texture and dullness - it is quite strong so only use a small bit at night before you go to bed, or sometimes I use it before applying make up if my skin is looking a bit dead. Love love love.

MOISTURISE

La Roche Posay Toleraine Ultra (on offer now!)

I don't know if I'll ever fall out of love with this moisturiser to be perfectly honest. I have used it for quite a few years now and even when I try out other ones that have been recommended to me as "life-changing" I always crawl right back. 

It just gives me the perfect amount of hydration - lots but doesn't feel heavy on the skin, but also isn't already all soaked in by the time I go to put my base on. Love this to the end of time. Morning and night - and perfect for sensitive skin. 


If you are super dry and tight, lash a layer of this on before you go to sleep and you will wake up smooth like a baby and super moisturised. It is very thick and heavy (I don't love it underneath make up for this reason) so I prefer to use before bed, and it also has a lavender scent which makes you drift right off. Doesn't break me out despite the fragrance (and I have super sensitive skin, IF I HADN'T MENTIONED).


This is a gorgeous moisturiser and feels super light on the skin, despite giving intense moisture. Great for under make up.


MASKS/SERUMS

To be honest I have a slight masking obsession, so it was quite difficult for me to narrow this down but here we go:

To Detox: Fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask


Origins call this their 10 Minute Mask to rescue problem skin. I personally tend to leave it for maybe 20 minutes, but that's more out of laziness than anything.

I love this mask because as well as tackling brewing breakouts, it contains Camphor which is really soothing and calming on the skin. I love lashing this on when I've just taken my make up off after having had it on for hours on end. 

It soothes the skin and you can feel it working on any problem areas that are threatening to pop up (or have already surfaced), removing dead skin cells when you wash it off and leaving your skin looking bright and revived.

To Hydrate: Fresh Rose mask

This mask is probably my favourite of all time, mainly because it has REAL rose petals in it. It looks a bit like apricot jam (bits and all) but is the most hydrating and GLORIOUS mask to apply and relax with on your face. It doesn't feel gross or sticky and the rose petal pieces are suspended in a lovely gel textured mask which feels so nice to apply.

They now have Fresh in Space N.K on Grafton Street in Dublin - RUN don't walk!

I am also in the market for an exfoliating mask, and apparently the mask version of my Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Daily Cleanser is amazing, so that's on my list. Will keep you posted.

Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Face Serum (can't find a link except the Fresh website, but you can pick this up in Space NK on Grafton St, Dublin!)

Applying this is like a drink of water for your face - I cannot tell you how good it feels. Apply after cleansing/toning & before your moisturiser and just let it sink in for a minute or two - your skin will thank you. Matches the above mask I mentioned, and they also have a toner that I am dying for. Adore this range!



LIPS

There's not a whole lot to say about lip balms that you don't already know but I do particularly favour these three. I do find there are certain lip balms that don't really do anything, but these - I can confirm - moisturise to the max.

Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm

Simply divine. A very boujee lip balm - up there in terms of price range but bloody divine. So luxurious and moisturising, would also make a great gift.


A slightly cheaper option that does just as great a job.

Elizabeth Arden 8 hour Intensive Lip Repair Cream

This lip version is much cheaper than the original but just as amazing. Super moisturising for lips, cuticles, dry spots anywhere on the hands, face and body. A small bit pricier than other balms (up there with Summer Fridays price) but also super reliable - it won't let you down.

EYES


I haven't tried a lot of eye creams in my life (I'm not sure I believe that they do anything), but this one I do enjoy. Feels super hydrating underneath the eyes. Top Tip: Put any remaining eye cream from your fingers onto your smile lines to help with wrinkles!


THE BODY

MOISTURISE

E45 - an old reliable. Available everywhere, comes in a nice giant bottle.
Cerave - a newer discovery, super moisturising and good for sensitive skin.
Sol de Janeiro Bum Bum Cream - my absolute fave. Makes me smell like a tropical cocktail.


TAN


Blowing the budget: Bondi Sands 1 hour express

Face Tan: Tan Luxe The Face (get the travel size - lasts ages!) - the only face tan that doesn't break me out. Would love to try the body one but I tan far too often to afford that, so not even trying it because I know I'll fall in love.




... aaaand breathe!

That was quite the skincare ramble (I love skincare if you hadn't already gathered from the above thesis I appear to have written) but each product deserved their moment in the sun. I don't add things to my skincare routine too often as I have super sensitive skin so I tend to get petrified that a new product will break me out (despite its endless promises not to).

However, if you have sensitive skin or millia bumps - please let me know if a product has changed the game for you in terms of skincare!


Thanks for reading,




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top