February Books 2021

Greetings all, back at it again with the books. I didn't get quite as much reading done in February as I would have liked to (the first book was a slow one and my exhaustion levels were high, meaning I kept falling asleep mid-sentence).

ANYWHO, here we go with the mini-reviews.

Theft by Finding Diaries Volume One - David Sedaris

This was my first read of the month and LET ME TELL YOU it was a bit of a long one to kick off with.

This book is an edited version of the real-life diaries David Sedaris kept between 1977 and 2002. For 40 years he kept a diary in which he recorded everything that happened and that caught his attention throughout his life in those years.

As with David Sedaris' books in general, it is of course full with comedic value and hilarious happenings. There were definitely some problematic parts/language throughout the earlier years that wouldn't fly these days, but apart from that I felt it just dragged on slightly. While there were funny parts and interesting memories throughout his younger years as a drug addict and right through to him writing about the 9/11 attacks, the inbetween parts felt like they dragged a bit.

Overall it was an easy read, I enjoyed it for the most part but felt it was a little longer than it needed to be. Not his funniest work - Calypso is still up there with my favourite of David Sedaris' work that I've read!

My Dark Vanessa - Kate Elizabeth Russell

TW: sexual abuse, rape

I would put a definite trigger warning on this for anyone who has experience sexual abuse and coercion of any kind, but especially at the hands of a person in power/person of authority who made you believe it was normal.

This book - while an uncomfortable read for the most part, is also an important one - really explores the dynamics of sexual abuse of a teenager at the hands of an older man - her teacher - and how his behaviour and treatment of her affected her for her life going forward. It explores the psychological dynamics of the relationship between the naive teenager, Vanessa, and her manipulative, older teacher, Mr Strane, who made her believe it was love.

As the years go by, other allegations come out against the teacher from former students, and Vanessa starts to question and recognise their affair and Mr Strane for what it really was, and wonders whether it is now time for her to speak up. The book alternates between Vanessa's past, as a 15 year old, and Vanessa as she is now, in her late twenties, reflecting on her experience and recognising it as trauma.

A Spark of Light - Jodi Picoult 

TW: abortion

I was warned before I read this book that it would make me angry (full to the brim of "pro-life" - anti-choicers) and it sure did, but it is meant to.

This story follows the experience of a group of people in a women's reproductive health services clinic - all of them there for different reasons, some working, some seeking birth control, some needing oncology scans, others for abortions, and some who believe abortion should not exist. One morning, a man who has discovered his daughter has visited the clinic - known for providing abortion services - arrives to get revenge for his grandchild that never was, and comes into the clinic shooting and takes everyone inside hostage.

As the police descend on the scene and hostage negotiation with the gunman starts as normal, experienced hostage negotiator Hugh McElroy realises his daughter and sister are among the hostages.

I enjoyed this book - despite the rage - Jodi Picoult is a great writer (my mom has read her books for years but I also remember them having quite depressing storylines and I wasn't at an emotionally stable enough time in my life to be reading depressing things tbh) and tells a story in such a beautiful way, building each of the characters out to the point you feel that you know them personally are are there in the clinic with them.

Strange Flowers - Donal Ryan

TW: racism, homophobia

My mom posted me up this book recently - I hadn't heard of it but read the blurb and was intrigued, and it is written by an Irish author so I figured I would give it a whirl. I absolutely loved it.

The story begins in 1973 when a young woman named Moll Gladney goes missing from her home in the hills of Tipperary, leaving no trace or clue, and her distraught parents in her wake. Five years on, as her parents are beginning to come to terms with the awful thought that she is gone forever, Moll walks back through the door as though nothing has happened... but a lot has changed.

This book explores so many important topics and addresses them in a great way - from the hindrances of the Catholic Church and its devout followers, the rampant racism and homophobia of that time in Ireland and all that stems from these issues. The Gladneys - who are the last people you would expect to accept such ideas as normal, welcome Moll and her new story back with open arms.

This is such a gorgeous book in every way, I really loved it and would highly recommend. I can't wait to read more from this author.

Let me know what you read this month/recently and if you have any recommendations - I'm always looking for more to add to my ever-growing pile!

Thank you for reading as always,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top